19 Mill Road
The Yaphank Historical Society was founded in 1974 and held its very first meeting at the Swezey-Avey House. Today, the Archives and Offices of the Society are housed here along with a Research Library and rooms for exhibits, meetings, and community programs.
4 Yaphank Avenue
Robert & Isabella Hawkins House
Because of the painstaking detail in the restoration and both the local and national historical significance of the site, the Robert Hewlett Hawkins House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, our Country’s highest historical citation.
Plans to officially designate the Hawkins House as a House Museum are finally moving forward. Our Historic District Committee working with Richard Martin, Director of Historic Services, Suffolk County Parks, agreed to set an interpretation date of 1884 for the museum. It was also recommended that the formal name of the house be changed to the Robert and Isabella Hawkins House.
230 East Main Street
Booth House Museum
“Mary Louise Booth, born in 1831 in Yaphank, is probably its most celebrated resident. Well known in publishing circles as the author of History of the City of New York, and later as founding editor of Harper’s Bazar, she was also secretary of the first Women’s Rights Convention, an active abolitionist, and a translator of over 40 books in seven languages.” - Tricia Foley
"Across from Hawkins House"
The Homan-Gerard House is a unique example of transitional Federal and Greek Revival architecture and the preservation of this early Long Island home is an integral part of the history and culture of Yaphank. The Homan-Gerard House and Mill Complex were first noted in Brookhaven Town Records in 1762 when the sawmill was built there on the river adjacent to the house. The house was rebuilt in the Federal style in 1790 and ownership was transferred over the years to the Homan, Hawkins and Gerard Families. The house is being interpreted as the mill owner’s home as it was in 1825. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
3 Yaphank Avenue
The old Yaphank Garage stands on the corner of Main Street and Yaphank Avenue. It was built by Yaphank’s Leslie R. Marchant for station owners Sheridan and Ehrenworth. The design was typical of the 1930’s. It was made of cement blocks that were painted white. The trim was red. It first opened in 1937 as a Shell Gas Station/ Garage and Machine Shop.
244 East Main Street
St. Andrew's Church
James H. Weeks built St. Andrew’s Church in 1853 to memorialize his granddaughter Susan Maria Weeks, his wife’s namesake, who was buried on the feast of St. Andrew. The Weeks family also established the cemetery in the churchyard. Their granddaughter was the first to be buried there, a centuries long tradition. It is now known as Little Susy’s Church, and is the name of a book written by Reverend Richard Chapin that tells its history. St. Andrew’s Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, St. Andrew’s Church is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island. The Holy Eucharist Service is celebrated Sunday mornings beginning at 10:00am.