Historic Yaphank, Where the Past Greets the Present. 


"Yaphank is very nearly the geographical center of Long Island and is the outgrowth of one of the divisions of Brookhaven town lands made in 1739. As the little village lies on the east side of Long Islands Connecticut River (corrupted from the Unkechaug Indian dialect of the Algonquin word quonnetukqut meaning a long, tidal river or creek), several waterpowered woolen, grist and sawmills were established there in Colonial times and the village became known as Millville. Sometime about 1844, when the railroad was put through the village, the name was changed to Yaphank, taking the Indian name of a small creek which lies about 3 miles directly south, in Yamphanke Neck, now South Haven." - Osborn Shaw, Brookhaven Town Historian, 1947



Hawkins House

Robert Hewlett Hawkins, was born in Yaphank, in 1817, but it was in New York City that he became a successful businessman. He retired to Yaphank and built this lovely Victorian Country House in 1850. The house was pegged construction with the design probably taken from an architectural plan book of the day. It was an elegant home for the milling village that was Yaphank. Read More

Presbyterian Church

Presbyterian Church

The Yaphank Presbyterian Church had its beginnings according to church and county records in the late 1700s. In 1817 the local Millville (Yaphank) schoolhouse on Sundays hosted a Sunday School mission of the Middle Island Presbyterian Church. After a number of years of worshipping in homes and in the schoolhouse, the present church was built as a chapel in 1851. In October 1871 the Yaphank Presbyterian Church was officially recognized as an individual church by the Long Island Presbytery. more

Haybarn

haybarn

In 1871, the county hired Charles Hallet, a well-known builder who practiced in the Town of Riverhead, to construct the main almshouse, nearby Children's Home, and the large hay barn. Today, the Almshouse Hay Barn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic Trust of Suffolk County, and is one of the few remaining double bay hay barns in New York that is still used for its original purpose. more

St. Andrews

st_andrews

St. Andrews Episcopal Church was established in 1853 and it reflects a part of our American heritage. It has received the nation's highest historical award, a place in the National Register of Historic Places. Read More

Upcoming Events



 September General Mtg. Thursday, Sept. 17, 2015, 7:30pm, Swezey-Avey House. Guest Spkr: Jim Szakmary, History Researcher, Suffolk County Historical Society, "The Works Progress Administration (WPA) in Suffolk & Nassau Counties". Refreshments will follow the meeting.

 Summer House Tours
Sunday Afternoons in July & August.
Hawkins House, Booth House & Swezey-Avey House Tours.Docents will be available at the Houses for tours & to answer questions.

 Fall Yard Sale
Saturday, Sept. 26, 9:00am-4:00pm, Hawkins House. Rain date: Sunday, Sept. 27th. Set up on the Hawkins House Lawns. Call 631-924-4308 or 631-924-2241 with questions.



 CALL for INFO -
631-924-4803
 or CONTACT webmaster@
 yaphankhistorical.org




Get Benjamin Tallmadge Trail Guide & Map


Get Directions to Swezey-Avey House, Yaphank


Get Directions to The Hawkins House, Yaphank


Get Carmans River Nature Trail Info & Map


"A Walking Tour of The Historic District"
Get Brochure & Map


The Swezey-Avey House Opening & YHS 40th Anniversary Celebration


>> Get Full Upcoming Events Calendar <<